Here is the recipe for this soft, moist, and delicate Italian lemon plumcake ( … no plums in this cake, just a lighter and Italian version of a pound cake)
Here is a simple and quick recipe for this super soft and moist Italian lemon cake. In Italy we call it plum cake or plumcake (pronounced “ploom”) even though there are no plums in this recipe. It’s similar to a pound cake, but lighter and I think, more delicate. In Italy this cake is generally made with lemon (like this one I show you today) or yogurt (also delicious … and I will share the recipe of that too!)
A slice of this light and moist loaf cake makes for the perfect breakfast or snack. You can serve it plain, just sprinkled with powdered sugar or sugar granella (sugar rice-sized sprinkles). Or spread with thin layer of your favorite jam or nutella. Either way, dunking it in a foamy capuccino is highly recommended!
This recipe takes less than one hour from start to finish. And all you need is ONE bowl, a hand mixer (or whisk can do the work too), a sifter if you have it, and a loaf pan of course.
Notes: make sure to mix well the wet ingredients, but mix just enough to combine once you add the dry ingredients. I used a 1 lb size loaf pan, and there was a little room to make it bigger. Next time I will! I made two of these and they both were gone in no time!
Here is the recipe card for this Italian Lemon Plum Cake
Italian Lemon Plumcake (Pound Cake)
Here is the recipe for this soft, moist, and delicate Italian lemon plum cake,
a lighter version of a pound cake
- 3/4 cup (150 gr) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 4 oz (115 gr) unsalted butter, melted*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- In a large bowl beat well the sugar and the eggs. You can use a hand mixer or a whisk.
- Add the finely grated lemon zest and lemon juice, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Beat well again.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl, and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a (1 pound) loaf baking pan (lined with parchment paper or greased well).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until set. Test with a toothpick for readiness.
- Let cool down, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
* can substitute with same amount of vegetable oil